Courtney’s BFF had surgery on her nose yesterday to fix a deviated septum so what better medicine to fix the sore nose than chocolate cake? This recipe comes from the “Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor” cookbook by Anne Byrn, a personal favorite of mine.
1 (18.25 oz) package plain butter recipe fudge cake mix (I used milk chocolate)
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325. Spray 10″ tube pan with Pam for baking.
2. Blend cake mix, cream cheese, water, oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla on low for 1 minute then on medium for 2 minutes. Batter should be well combined. Pour batter into tube pan, smoothing out with spatula.
3. Bake until cake springs back when lightly pressed with finger and is just starting to pull away from sides of pan, about 58 – 62 minutes. Place on wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes then remove from pan. Allow to cool for 20 minutes more. Top with icing.
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk (I only had 1% so used that)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Place sugar, butter and milk in saucepan over medium high heat, stir until mixture comes to a boil about 3 – 4 minutes. Still stirring, let mixture boil for 1 minute, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in chips, continuing to stir until mixture is smooth and chocolate has melted.
3. Drizzle icing over cake, letting it run down the sides.